Portobella mushroom burgers.. yum!! Let’s dive in.
My fiance and I have been really focusing on watching what we eat and slowly have cut out eating meat. For years I’ve cooked dishes that included some type of animal protein without really thinking outside the box and getting creative with my cooking. Thanks to Pinterest I found this winning Chunky Portobella Mushroom Burger by The Kitchen Whisperer and I just had to put a vegan spin on it!
Here’s the vegan recipe for Chunky Portabella Mushroom Burgers:
- 2 cups black beans, cooked
- 1 cup kale
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 2 cups portabella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 3 vegan eggs
- 1 tbsp Sweet Mesquite Seasoning
- Hickory Liquid Smoke
Oils & Vinegars
- 1 olive oil
Bread & Baked Goods
- 5/8 cup panko or gluten free panko
- 3/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, add 1 cup of black beans and mash into chunks.
- Add in the mushrooms, the rest of the beans, kale, garlic, onion and sweet mesquite seasoning.
- Mix until coated.
- Add in the vegan eggs, vegan cheese and bread crumbs, and mix gently with a large spoon until the mixture is combined.
- Set aside while you place a medium non-stick pan over medium heat and add in 2 tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil starts to shimmer (about a minute or two), using dampened hands (the mixture will stick to you if you don’t), scoop a 1/2 cup of mixture into the palm of your hand and gently shape into a burger all the while pressing together. The mixture should hold a burger shape. If it doesn’t add just a tbsp more of bread crumbs.
- Place in the oil and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and a crust has formed on each side.
- Serve as a sandwich, with a side of avocado, or on top of a bed of greens.
I served the portobella mushroom burgers for lunch on gluten free toast with, vegan mayo, lettuce, tomato, and vegan cheddar cheese. You can totally get creative with how you enjoy your mushroom burgers with this recipe. I actually also had it the next day as a breakfast scramble (I made a lot of patties 10 to be exact) and it tasted great!
This would be a wonderful recipe to try out for a Super Bowl party this weekend! Let us know in the comments what team you’re rooting for.